New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Guru News and Commentaries
Guru News, Stock picks and commentaries
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
Comment for Shiller P/E Ratio: Where Are We with Market Valuations?
Posted by: gurufocus (IP Logged)
Date: April 27, 2012 06:59AM

The historical data is only quarterly. Although the current data for today.

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.0/5 (1 vote)

Posted by: Steve Pomeranz (IP Logged)
Date: June 3, 2012 02:38PM

I agree with Matteo, love to see one for Europe.

Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Posted by: beatsj (IP Logged)
Date: June 18, 2012 10:14AM

I agree with previous posts that expanding this page to include some of the international markets would be very helpful.

thanks

Rate this post:

Posted by: the_laws (IP Logged)
Date: July 27, 2012 12:04AM

I see that the Shiller PE is given for individual stocks on their summary quote page. Any chance that the Shiller PE could be made available for selection on the on the customized view for a portfolio? I export data from my personal portfolios to a spreadsheet for tracking various parameters, including valuation related items. But I see that Shiller PE is not currently available for selection in the "Customize This View" panel.
Regards,
Doug

Rate this post:

Posted by: brucechin (IP Logged)
Date: September 23, 2012 12:09PM

Shiller's P/E as an indicator to buy stocks is pretty useless. Even as a gauge of the the stock market's valuation it's useless.
Point 1) As Birinyi points out, Shiller's P/E has been signalling to sell as we are over the mean since 2009 and has missed out on basically a market double from the bottom as it has gotten more expensive. Even at the bottom of 2009 it barely gave a buy signal with a Shiller P/E of 13.4
Point 2) As a stock market gauge it's also useless as evidenced now at 22x. Smoothing earnings out to try and get an understanding of a company's normalized earnings simplifies the role of business analysis needed to understand the economic drivers of a company.

Keep fundamental business analysis/modelling to determine where you think earnings will go and then use simple P/E, among many methods, to get value.

Rate this post:

Posted by: billbyte (IP Logged)
Date: January 16, 2013 10:50AM

For a Shiller PE critique see: [seekingalpha.com]

Rate this post:

Posted by: henryl65@facebook (IP Logged)
Date: March 4, 2013 02:51PM

Billbyte,
He makes the classic error of using forward operating earnings at peak margins. Margins are currently 70% above the historical long term norm. Over time, like valuations, they revert to a mean. Also, he only uses data back to 1993...hardly far enough considering stocks are (or should be) very long-run investments.

Rate this post:

Posted by: christiine_ng27@facebook (IP Logged)
Date: March 11, 2013 10:11AM

I definitely agree with this article that the P/E ratio is a good general indicator of how the comapny is doing in the context of the current economy. However, one should not depend solely on this ratio, since other factors of the market must also be considered. I think this is a great article for beginners to start learning about P/E ratios. I've also learned alot about P/E ratios from this video which breaks it down step by step in just a couple minutes: [www.youtube.com]

Rate this post:

Posted by: URounder (IP Logged)
Date: July 31, 2013 08:39PM

I would love to see a line on there showing how the average Shiller P/E has changed. It looks like the average now is probably higher than it was in 1980. It would be good to see how the average may be changing over time. Great Article!

Rate this post:

Posted by: pjmason14 (IP Logged)
Date: August 2, 2013 04:30PM

The mean in 1980 was roughly 14.50. It was lower then the current mean. The conclusions on valuations wouldn't have changed being that the Shiller P/E was well under 10 at that point.

Rate this post:

Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK