New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Guru News and Commentaries
Guru News, Stock picks and commentaries
New Topic Search
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
WSJ: Europe at the Brink [VIDEO]
Posted by: Frank Voisin (IP Logged)
Date: January 5, 2012 07:56AM

The Wall Street Journal’s documentary on the origins of the European debt crisis:

Stocks Discussed: FXE, XLF, GLD,
Rate this post:

Rating: 2.8/5 (4 votes)

Re WSJ Europe at the Brink VIDEO
Posted by: vgm (IP Logged)
Date: January 5, 2012 02:06PM

A very one-sided portrayal. Too much scare-mongering, including the attempt, thru the music, to create an overly fearful atmosphere. I guess that's what gets us to buy newspapers.

No-one denies Europe's dire situation, and past mistakes but I'd like to have seen more balanced reporting. There are two sides to the coin. There are better-informed individuals (Niall Ferguson for one) who make the case that it is simply too costly and damaging for Europe to break up. Every country would stand to suffer, including the fiscally prudent Germans. There's every likelihood that Europe will emerge stronger in the aftermath.

I'd suggest a Part V looking objectively at the potentially optimistic scenarios and outcomes and benefits. There is the prospect that Europe uses the current problem as an opportunity to improve itself, albeit much more slowly than the rest of the world would've liked.

Stocks Discussed: FXE, XLF, GLD,
Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK
Email Hide