New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Guru News and Commentaries
Guru News, Stock picks and commentaries
New Topic Search
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What the Supreme Court's "Obamacare" Ruling Means for Health Care Stocks
Posted by: Street Authority (IP Logged)
Date: June 28, 2012 05:59PM

Cooler heads have prevailed. A showdown between the executive branch of government and the judicial branch of government looked to usher in a new era of intra-governmental rancor that our Founding Fathers sought to avoid. But the Supreme Court's decision to let much of the Obama Administration's health care law stay intact is a victory for anyone who wants to see policy makers in Washington move forward -- not backward -- in addressing many of our nation's major fiscal challenges.

Opinions vary widely on the merits of the far-reaching legislation, with detractors on both sides of the partisan aisle (albeit for differing reasons). Yet many agree that health care is in need of some sort of fix. For roughly two decades, we've been spending a rising percentage of our gross domestic product (GDP) on health care (which by some estimates has reached 17%) without a commensurate increase in the quality of care we receive.

The Obama administration's goals of expanded coverage and streamlined costs through the use of best practices are laudable. The proof, as they say, will be in the pudding. Chances are, the plan will need to be tinkered with as some anticipated benefits fail to materialize. For example, hospitals will be rewarded (or punished) as they move to meet goals of improved patient outcomes. Quickly and radically improving the delivery of hospital-based health care is more daunting than you might think.

Yet even if the plan achieves all of its goals, a range of health care segments will either benefit or suffer from the legislation. Back in the beginning of June, I gave my take on the health care law itself and how the Supreme Court's possible decisions would affect various health care sectors and stocks. And despite how you may feel about the legislation itself, you need to be aware of the winners and losers so that you can position your portfolio accordingly.

Winners
Clear winners from this landmark ruling include:

• Hospitals that no longer need to shoulder the burden of uninsured emergency room patients who can't pay their bills when they come due. (These hospitals will also benefit from an increase in higher-margin elective surgeries as more patients get coverage).

Stocks that could possibly benefit include: Community Health Systems (CYH), Tenet Healthcare (THC), Universal Health Services (UHS) and HCA (HCA).

• Health insurers that will gain access to millions more new patients.

As I said in my previous article, "Insurers hate the idea of being forced to extend insurance to high-risk patients. Yet they agreed to take on these patients as long as all patients -- high-risk and low-risk -- were enrolled. Insurers realized that if they had to cover any patients seeking coverage, without all being required to participate, then people would simply wait until they got sick to apply for insurance. "

Stocks that could benefit from this ruling include Coventry Health (CVH), United Health (UNH), Humana (HUM), and Aetna (AET), although I would caution against buying these stocks strictly because of this news, as some experts feel differently about whether these stocks would benefit, and it will likely take a while for this to play out before we really know for sure.

The losers
On the flip side, any companies that sell medical devices or pharmaceuticals are faced with a stark reality. Reimbursement pressures are rising and will get even more severe. A key goal of the health care overhaul is aimed at utilizing the lowest-cost treatment option, assuming outcomes are equal.

As a result, look for medical-device makers to start investing only in new products that have lower price points than products that are currently on the market (or at least yield vastly superior outcomes that save money in terms of post-treatment follow-up). Boston Scientific (BSX) is a specific stock in this sector that got hit on news of the ruling.

Stocks Discussed: CYH, THC, UHS, HCA, CVH, UNH, HUM, AET, BSX,
Rate this post:

Rating: 2.7/5 (6 votes)

Re What the Supreme Court s Obamacare Ruling Means for Health Care Stocks
Posted by: paulwitt (IP Logged)
Date: June 29, 2012 01:07PM

ObamaCare has been renamed.....

It's now ObamaTax

Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Posted by: LwC (IP Logged)
Date: June 29, 2012 02:05PM

Actually IMO it's time to call it what is really is: the No Free-loaders Health Care bill.

Are you a free-loader?

Rate this post:

Date: June 29, 2012 02:20PM

I'm not a free-loader. I have a high-deductible plan.

Rate this post:

Date: June 29, 2012 02:50PM

A couple of thoughts about health care reform (yes, we do need it)

1) tort reform
2) buy across state lines
3) personal medical tax credits (just like business gets)
4) pools for people with pre-existing conditions
5) bipartisan solutions
6) pilot programs
7) sales tax on all food (this captures the underground economy, everyone pays)
8) fix what you have before starting a new program
9) get doctors involved, not politicians

*I'm a independent voter

BTW we're going bust!

Rate this post:

Date: June 29, 2012 04:29PM

A couple of thoughts about health care reform (yes, we do need it)

1) tort reform Maybe, but unfortunately this has become a right wing talking point instead of true attempt at solution. The simple fact is that some doctors/hospitals are careless and/or incompetent so some kind of tort process is probably necessary

2) buy across state lines Maybe, but then we lose the protection of State regulators which may or may not be a good thing

3) personal medical tax credits (just like business gets) Business get deductions, not credits, and individuals also get deductions

4) pools for people with pre-existing conditions Not necessary under the current law which requires issuance of insurance without regard to pre-existing conditions

5) bipartisan solutions Well good luck with that

6) pilot programs I don't know what those would be

7) sales tax on all food (this captures the underground economy, everyone pays) Yes, we need another regressive tax in that it hits poor people the hardest

8) fix what you have before starting a new program The new program attempts to do that, only partially successfully due to lack of bipartisan solutions (see 5)

9) get doctors involved, not politicians Doctors are involved; some doctors are for the reform and some are against. IMO it's the politicians' job to make solutions, it's not the doctors' job. IMO most doctors do not have any better insight into this than you or I.

*I'm a independent voter Whatever

BTW we're going bust! HUH?

Rate this post:

Date: June 29, 2012 04:36PM

You win

Rate this post:

Date: June 29, 2012 05:33PM

Oh, I remember you now. LOL

[remistevens.com]

Rate this post:

Posted by: Invest E Gator (IP Logged)
Date: June 30, 2012 01:55AM

Yes. Obamacare. This is just what America needs - codifying even more profits for a select few operating in the health care industry, and even more impoverishment for the nation as a whole, directly into the law books. The Supreme Court has so cool-headedly given a stamp of approval to the ushering in of yet another extension to the growing regulatory plutocratic-cleptocracy that is becomming the United States.

Rate this post:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK