|New Threads Only:|
|New Threads & Replies:|
Forum List » Guru News and Commentaries|
Guru News, Stock picks and commentaries
Jim Chanos – Recaps His Career as a Short-Seller, What He Is Shorting Today
Posted by: CanadianValue (IP Logged)
Date: December 6, 2012 03:09PM
Some comments from Chanos:
- The first company he looked at as an analyst was an enormous fraud; this turned him onto the short side of the business.
- He got his start in 1985; since when the Dow has increased ten times, not exactly fertile ground for a short-seller.
- Short-selling’s most important function is that it brings real-time financial detectives to the markets; regulators are good at finding things after the fact while short-sellers are financially motivated to find frauds.
- Short-selling is now considered much more acceptable as it has been popularized by hedge funds.
- Why he likes China as a short: because there is a credit bubble and because profits from companies are “skimmed” and never get to the passive investor.
- The real estate bubble is still inflating in China (he warned about it three years ago).
- He isn’t bearish on all of China but certainly is about the property market.
- The best short in the world is to be short government promises.
- He thinks investors should be exposed to assets that will beat inflation (including equities) and that really long dated-bonds are a bad idea.
Guru Discussed: Jim Chanos: Current Portfolio, Stock Picks
Stocks Discussed: SPY, DJI, QQQ,
Disclaimers: GuruFocus.com is not operated by a broker, a dealer, or a registered investment adviser. Under no circumstances does any information posted on GuruFocus.com represent a recommendation to buy or sell a security. The information on this site, and in its related newsletters, is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, investment advice or recommendations. The gurus may buy and sell securities before and after any particular article and report and information herein is published, with respect to the securities discussed in any article and report posted herein. In no event shall GuruFocus.com be liable to any member, guest or third party for any damages of any kind arising out of the use of any content or other material published or available on GuruFocus.com, or relating to the use of, or inability to use, GuruFocus.com or any content, including, without limitation, any investment losses, lost profits, lost opportunity, special, incidental, indirect, consequential or punitive damages. Past performance is a poor indicator of future performance. The information on this site, and in its related newsletters, is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, investment advice or recommendations. The information on this site is in no way guaranteed for completeness, accuracy or in any other way. The gurus listed in this website are not affiliated with GuruFocus.com, LLC. Stock quotes provided by InterActive Data. Fundamental company data provided by Morningstar, updated daily.