|New Threads Only:|
|New Threads & Replies:|
Forum List » Guru News and Commentaries|
Guru News, Stock picks and commentaries
And Now for a Different Perspective - Gary Shilling Thinks Treasury Bonds Are the Place to Be in 2013
Posted by: CanadianValue (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2012 04:15PM
Interest rates that are so low they are basically rounding errors and money printing around the world is running rampant. Yet Gary Shilling thinks T-Bills are the place to be in 2013.
To me and people much smarter than me these Treasury bonds seem more like no-return and all-risk options right now, so it is likely smart to hear someone who sees things differently.
Shilling thinks bonds are the way to go because:
- He admits the bond bull market can’t last forever.
- He only buys Treasuries for appreciation; he doesn’t focus on the yield.
- His target on the 10-year Treasury is 1%.
- He thinks there is another five years of deleveraging ahead of us before we have to worry about inflation killing us.
- Stocks are not the place to be because there is no room for profit margin expansion which has been the key to earnings growth.
- He thinks $80 could be the earnings for the S&P 500 next year which is much lower than the $110 consensus.
- Shilling still thinks there is an excess inventory problem that is going to hold back the housing market.
I think I’d rather bury my money in a tin can in the backyard than buy a 30-year Treasury today, but maybe Shilling is right:
Stocks Discussed: SPY, DJI, QQQ,
Disclaimers: GuruFocus.com is not operated by a broker, a dealer, or a registered investment adviser. Under no circumstances does any information posted on GuruFocus.com represent a recommendation to buy or sell a security. The information on this site, and in its related newsletters, is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, investment advice or recommendations. The gurus may buy and sell securities before and after any particular article and report and information herein is published, with respect to the securities discussed in any article and report posted herein. In no event shall GuruFocus.com be liable to any member, guest or third party for any damages of any kind arising out of the use of any content or other material published or available on GuruFocus.com, or relating to the use of, or inability to use, GuruFocus.com or any content, including, without limitation, any investment losses, lost profits, lost opportunity, special, incidental, indirect, consequential or punitive damages. Past performance is a poor indicator of future performance. The information on this site, and in its related newsletters, is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, investment advice or recommendations. The information on this site is in no way guaranteed for completeness, accuracy or in any other way. The gurus listed in this website are not affiliated with GuruFocus.com, LLC. Stock quotes provided by InterActive Data. Fundamental company data provided by Morningstar, updated daily.