New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Guru News and Commentaries
Guru News, Stock picks and commentaries
New Topic Search
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3
Carl Icahn on Bloomberg TV - I don't like or respect Bill Ackman
Posted by: Bloomberg (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2013 04:02PM

In a phone interview on Bloomberg TV's "Street Smart," Carl Icahn told Bloomberg TV anchor Trish Regan that he doesn’t "like" or "respect" fellow fund manager Bill Ackman, criticizing the way Ackman publicized a $1 billion bet that shares of Herbalife Ltd. (HLF) would decline.

“You don’t go out and get a room full of people to badmouth the company…If you want to be in that business, why don’t you join the SEC?”

On whether Icahn has a long position in Herbalife:

"I stay away from commenting on positions that we have or we don't have if they don't have a 13D on file. I will duck that question and not say yes and not say no."

On Herbalife, and whether Bill Ackman or Dan Loeb is right or wrong in their positions on the stock:

"Look, it's no secret to the world and to Wall Street - and most guys on Wall Street I sort of like and I get along with - and it's no secret I don't like Ackman. I have no respect for him and I don't like him and that's not a secret. But that doesn’t mean that I'm going to go in and buy stock in a company necessarily just to get him. Frankly, I don't like the way he did this anyway. If you're short, you go short and hey, if it goes down you make money. You don't go out and get a roomful of people to badmouth the company. If you want to be in that business, why don't you go out and join the SEC?"

On short sellers:

"They shouldn't take on the job of being a regulator. I don't think it's Ackman's job to go in and say the SEC should be looking at this and I'm going to show you why it's illegal. If it's illegal, then go to the SEC and tell them it's illegal. But don't go try and make a profit on it.

"What I think is not all at all forthright -- and he's giving all the money he makes on charity - but is he giving all the money he makes for his limited partners to charity? Doesn't that help him a great deal…if the stock goes down and his limited partners make a great profit and he becomes more famous and he gets more money in. So, he's not doing it for charity.

"I wouldn't even say this, but it's no secret, I dislike the guy, I don't respect him, I've done business with him and he wasn't forthright…that's my opinion…But the real thing is, I don't think he did this in the right way."

**CREDIT: BLOOMBERG TELEVISION**

Guru Discussed: Carl Icahn: Current Portfolio, Stock Picks
Bill Ackman: Current Portfolio, Stock Picks
Stocks Discussed: HLF,
Rate this post:

Rating: 4.7/5 (9 votes)

Re Carl Icahn on Bloomberg TV - I don t like or respect Bill Ackman
Posted by: tokyowalker (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2013 05:52PM

Carl Icahn sounds like a childish dick in this interview.

Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Posted by: vgm (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2013 02:18AM

Icahn was obviously a bit angry, and that was unfortunate, but behind the emotion there was alot of hard-hitting truth. And Icahn is only one among many who have been openly dubious about Ackman's HLF short and the way it was done.

I don't know Ackman the way Icahn does, but I've said many times in this forum that Ackman is certainly not on my personal list of gurus! He puts way too much emphasis on self-promotion and sensationalism, and by far too little on intellectual rigor and analysis. He needs to learn to sit in the corner and THINK deeply and carefully before acting. In my book he's superficial - an average investor masquerading as a guru.

Rate this post:

Posted by: leolord (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2013 06:45AM

In this particular case, I am with Carl Ichan. Ackman's behavious of badmouthing a company while he holds a short position does not reflect him well as a decent person. If you don't have a position in a company, then you can say whatever you want to say. The matter the fact that he is trying to make money for himself is always a selfish action. I like Warren Buffet who never made bad comments about a company to make money.

Rate this post:

Posted by: basil2000 (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2013 06:53AM

Icahn let his personal feelings against Ackman distort his reasoning. He doesn't like Ackman, therefore everything Ackman does has to be wrong. It is the same with his idea about Herbalife: Because he thinks you are better on the long side of Herbalife he wants it also to be a good, decent business.

Rate this post:

Posted by: wescileppi (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2013 07:32AM

Vgm,

I absolutely agree with your post. That people follow or even invest their money with Ackman shocks me. Sure, he has had one or two big hits, but he has had some disasters. He is a little boy who got started with Daddy's money. He has no business on the guru list.

Rate this post:

Posted by: mocheng (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2013 07:48AM

unless you are a billionaire, i don't think it's right to judge a billionaire weather he is wrong :) If that billionaire is a self-made and made his money legally.

Rate this post:

Posted by: batalha (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2013 09:18AM

i am not sure i would consider Ackman a guru either. I think from $45/ share up his trade becomes a money losing one. Considering the amount of shares he sold short he may blow up on this one if the stock climbs back up to wher it came from last year.

Rate this post:

Date: January 25, 2013 11:49AM

Wescileppi,
Thanks. I totally agree about "Daddy's money". Ackman is where he is today on account of family backing and influence. Very little is off his own bat.

Mocheng - I think the answer to your dilemma is in Wescileppi's post. It' not necessary to be a billionaire to see thru Ackman and know that he's anything but "self-made".

Rate this post:

Date: January 25, 2013 01:02PM

There's more on this from CNBC:

"Billionaire Smackdown. Ackman and Icahn Spew Insults"

[finance.yahoo.com]

Rate this post:

Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK
Hide