New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Guru News and Commentaries
Guru News, Stock picks and commentaries
New Topic Search
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Perversion of the Investment Catalyst
Posted by: Jae Jun (IP Logged)
Date: August 23, 2013 04:47PM

For every stock you buy, does it have a catalyst?

Yes? No?

Most stock articles you read always include some sort of upcoming catalyst that is going to propel the stock higher. Heck, even ValueInvestorsClub requires every stock pitch to have a catalyst. But to invest only in stocks with clear catalysts defeats the purpose of value investing.

Catalysts are not important, nor are they required for an investment.

Take it from the man who defined value investing, Ben Graham. He just wanted one thing and spent his days with Walter Schloss searching for it.

Cheap stocks.

Warren Buffett also wants to buy one thing.

Awesome companies.

Neither mentioned anything in any of their writings about seeking a catalyst to make a successful investment. In fact, they told you the opposite.

Sit and wait, they said.

The problem is that sitting and waiting is torture today. There has to be action. There have to be fast moves up and if something does not play out within a few months, it’s a dud and not worth keeping any longer. “Next!”

Investors today lack assiduity. That’s Charlie Munger’s technical term for sitting on your ass and doing nothing.

If you must seek a catalyst, remember that being cheap itself is a catalyst. That’s the number one catalyst which always gets ignored because it’s so simple and boring.

I hope a light bulb just went off somewhere.

Let Mr. Market do his thing and waltz around with Miss Price in his arms. You don’t have to join his dance or gaze longingly at Miss Stock Price. They are a pure vanity couple: great looking and fun to be with but horrible to live with.

Having a catalyst is good, but is it necessary?

No.
Quote:
You make money by waiting.
- Mohnish Pabrai

Guru Discussed: Mohnish Pabrai: Current Portfolio, Stock Picks
Stocks Discussed: SPY, DJI, QQQ,
Rate this post:

Rating: 4.1/5 (15 votes)

Re The Perversion of the Investment Catalyst
Posted by: AlbertaSunwapta (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2013 10:25PM

Excellent insight!

A catalyst might offer the prospect of higher returns but I'd say that one would have to then question whether an investor's expectation of a pending catalyst might also mean that that very catalyst is already priced into the stock.

Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Posted by: haoafu (IP Logged)
Date: August 26, 2013 10:15AM

Good point. I think catalyst is still a positive for the stock. Imagine 2 stocks with identical characteristics and are similarly undervalued, I'd put more money on the one with catalyst or I'd like to pay a little less for the one without catalyst.

Rate this post:

Posted by: batbeer2 (IP Logged)
Date: August 26, 2013 10:47AM

I think most people will agree these are two key elements to a catalyst:

1) It's a specific future event
2) If and when it occurs, it is expected to cause the price of the stock to go up.

So.... paying more for a stock with a catalyst is betting on the occurrence of some specific future event to drive up the price of the stock.

If that is not speculation, nothing is.

I do not have a problem with speculation.

Just some thoughts.

Rate this post:

Date: August 28, 2013 08:37PM

How about Buffett's railroads purchases. Did he see the ramping up of resource transportation as a near term kicker? (Back then he also visited Alberta and had meetings in Calgary and Ft. McMurray.)

Back then I knew Allegheny, Gates and McDuff had seen value in railroads a while before Buffett's move and so out of curiosity I had spotted rail-shale move early (and did nothing of course) and so also noted that when Buffett started to buy, many if not most analysts were generally avoiding or even trashing railroads, as well as Buffett's move into them. Of course, now everyone loves them. That said, Buffett clearly saw value ahead of most others and I'e long wondered if he hadn't seen the shale potential as a "catalyst".

Rate this post:

Posted by: batbeer2 (IP Logged)
Date: August 29, 2013 02:09AM

In this case, Buffett probably was the catalyst ;o)

I don't have a problem with catalysts and I don't think Buffett has a problem with them either. Most of my write-ups will include a list of catalysts.

It's just that speculation causes people to pay too much for the catalyst and ignore the underlying business.

Just yesterday, one of Francis Chou's stocks (Hanfeng Evergreen) dropped below the value of its cash. A management buyout fell through. The company is Canadian, consistently profitable, and has no debt!

The catalyst was removed and a profitable company suddenly trades below net-cash.... that to me indicates investors assign greater value to the catalyst than they do to the business itself.

Back in 2010, hardly anyone was arguing USG was expensive but there was a strong argument that it was "dead money". You'd be better off putting your money to work in situations with better near-term prospects (catalysts). Things like premier exhibitions (PRXI).

It's fair to say a very large percentage of investors will pass on a stock simply because they see no clear catalyst.

I often see an argument made that "value is sometimes its own catalyst".

To me, this means the investor is hunting for catalysts, not value and in desperation (lack of true catalyst) argues that value is a form of catalyst. Absurd.

Rate this post:

Posted by: vgm (IP Logged)
Date: August 29, 2013 03:15AM

"Did he see the ramping up of resource transportation as a near term kicker?"

AS,
I don't think it's rational to suggest that Buffett looked for, or saw, a "near term kicker" in railroads. When questioned at the time, his reply was the purchase was a long term bet on America and its prosperity, and "a business which is going to be around for a hundred or two hundred years". He did confess that he had paid a relatively high price, but we can also be sure he saw a good (long term) investment in the industry and the numbers.

[www.gurufocus.com]

There are precious few certainties in investing, but one is that Buffett does not think short term. Period.

Rate this post:

Date: August 29, 2013 08:07AM

...and they were generally perceived as dead money despite Gates making 800% on CNR (and the taxpayer losing a portion of that 800% due to total privatization).

still, the timing of his buys were curious.

Buffett must have see the loadings numbers at some point. He dumped his other railroads to focus on B.N.

Rate this post:

Posted by: vgm (IP Logged)
Date: August 29, 2013 09:08AM

AS,
We can be sure that his buys were nothing to do with "a near term kicker" or "timing", to use your terms. It was clearly a very long term strategy based on America's future. He said so in the video I supplied and it's entirely consistent with all we know of the man and his ways and his philosophy.

Rate this post:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK
Hide