New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Guru News and Commentaries
Guru News, Stock picks and commentaries
New Topic Search
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Passive Long Term Investing: The Best Gurus to Invest in
Posted by: smanchur (IP Logged)
Date: December 1, 2013 12:27AM

I, like everybody else on this site, am investing for the long term. I have been managing my own portfolio for the past 5 years. It is enjoyable. Lots of time is devoted to this exercise. I read articles on Gurufocus and follow the moves of top Gurus. I have had the time to do all of this because I am relatively young, and up until recently, single without children. In the next short while I will be getting married and having children of my own. My career is advancing and work hours are increasing. Available time to focus on companies and investing will dwindle.

What I wish to do with my portfolio from here is to manage around 25% of the funds (like I said, it is enjoyable), but for the other 75% I wish to give it to the masters and let them do what they do best. I have come to realize that it makes far more sense to give my capital to smart investors who have long-term proven track records that follow the value investing philosophy that I have loved from the beginning. If I can focus my time on accumulating capital, ie work, and then passively invest it with top Gurus, that should be a recipe for success, and greatly free up my time for family and other hobbies.

This is where I ask for your comments. What Gurus would you recommend? I want to invest with Gurus that are publicly traded, as I will be adding capital on a monthly basis. I will most likely pick around 5 to invest with. I will probably also allocate more capital to the Guru that has the lowest price/book at the time. To get the list started I have been thinking of Tom Gayner from Markel (MKL), Prem Watsa from Fairfax (FFH.TO), Bruce Berkowitz from Fairholme (FAIRX), and Warren Buffett from Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B).

Stocks Discussed: BRK.B, BRK.A, MKL, FAIRX, FFH.TO,
Rate this post:

Rating: 3.5/5 (2 votes)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK