New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Guru News and Commentaries
Guru News, Stock picks and commentaries
New Topic Search
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
GMO White Paper: A CAPE Crusader ─ A Defence Against the Dark Arts by James Montier
Posted by: Holly LaFon (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2014 03:28PM

Having spent a large proportion of my career prior to joining GMO working at investment banks, I'm well aware of what Andrew Smithers describes as "Stock Broker Economics," the second tenet of which is "The market is always cheap."1 Over the years I've witnessed many attempts by the practitioners of this most dark art to justify why tried and tested measures of valuation are no longer meaningful, or occasionally create new measures of valuation that purport to show the market to be cheap.2

A recent outbreak of precisely this brand of sorcery has surrounded the Shiller P/E (price relative to 10-year moving average earnings adjusted for inflation as shown in Exhibit 1). Wizards range from the seemingly ever optimistic Jeremy Siegel to any number of Wall Street strategists, and even a blogger whose work I generally enjoy.3 Given that one should always look for evidence that may prove one wrong, I've spent some time thinking about the issues they have raised and have summarized my thoughts in this short paper.

One of the criticisms of Shiller's Cyclically Adjusted P/E (CAPE) that I've come across is that it hasn't given a cheap signal in a long time; that is to say that it has not mean reverted of late.

I am, however, less than convinced by this argument. There is nothing contradictory between the predictions based on the Shiller P/E and the returns that we have witnessed. Exhibit 2 shows the simplest way that I can imagine of transforming the Shiller P/E into a forecast return. We simply revert the P/E towards average over the course of the next seven years and then add a constant to reflect growth and income (let's call it 6% for simplicity's sake). It does a pretty reasonable job of capturing realised returns. If anything, it tends to overpredict returns, rather than underpredict them (which is another of the charges levelled by the critics).

I'd actually suggest that the Shiller P/E is quite possibly too optimistic currently (the complete opposite of the critics' claim). This is because 10-year earnings are currently high relative to their trend. Exhibit 3 shows real earnings, their 10-year average, and a trend line fitted through the 10-year average. Real earnings are currently massively above their 10-year average (accounting for the difference between the spot P/E and the Shiller P/E). However, 10- year average earnings are also significantly above their trend, suggesting that earnings have been above average for a prolonged period (more on this a little later).

Continue reading here.

Guru Discussed: Jeremy Grantham: Current Portfolio, Stock Picks
Stocks Discussed: SPY, DJI, QQQ,
Rate this post:

Rating: 4.0/5 (6 votes)

Re GMO White Paper A CAPE Crusader A Defence Against the Dark Arts by James Montier
Posted by: AlbertaSunwapta (IP Logged)
Date: February 26, 2014 07:02AM

Excellent report. 

Guru Discussed: Jeremy Grantham: Current Portfolio, Stock Picks
Stocks Discussed: SPY, DJI, QQQ,
Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK
Email Hide