New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Value Ideas and Strategies
Share and discuss value investing ideas and investing strategies.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Drillers/NBR
Posted by: expectingrain (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2007 03:10PM

Anyone have any thoughts on the drillers? NBR in particular. They look SO cheap right now, and they just got done doing a ton of CapEx that they won't be doing next year. Probably have about a billion in FCF next year. Its also a guru holding (Marty Whitman) I don't own it, but I am thinking about it. I do own PTEN and PDC which also look cheap. What's up with these drillers?

Stocks Discussed: NBR,
Rate this post:

Rating: 5.0/5 (1 vote)

Re: Drillers/NBR
Posted by: peter123 (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2007 07:22PM

Maybe record oil prices ...?

IMO, the drillers are like a call option on oil prices. As long as oil stays high, they will do well. If oil goes back to $50 it is a different story. Personally I do not like high capex and low returns on capital and the cyclicality with oil prices. Buying them at 10 times trough earnings would be better than peak earnings... LOL.

Whitman has owned NBR forever and it is a solid stock at a fair price.

Rate this post:

Rating: 3.0/5 (1 vote)

Posted by: bpgamecock (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2007 02:21AM

Mgmt team that know how to create shrhldr value is key = return FCF to shareholders during boom times.

Deepwater offshore fundamentals better than onshore = you want RIG or DO. I prefer DO b/c capital allocation strategy of high dvds & ownership...thinks like biz owners vs. typcial energy owners.

Land drillers like NBR cheap on PE & EV/EBITDA, but haven't found mgmt team I really like. Plus, land = mostly nat gas, and nat gas has too many alternatives = coal, nuke, hydro. Deeph20 offshore = mostly oil, which has little substitutes as a transportations fuel.

Rate this post:

Rating: 4.0/5 (2 votes)

Posted by: harison (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2007 04:32PM

I like nat gas. It burns clean, coal is the bane of Nancy Pelosi's existence and nuclear power is quite a ways off. I own GW, I think the peak earnings plus capex thing is holding these companies down. Remember though, they owns tons of assets, and rigs can be resold so I think that they are trading at or under liquidation value. The big capex numbers were an example of smart capital allocation, and fcf should return next year as capex winds down. Even if we are at peak earnings, if GW's earnings fell by 36% it would trade a 9x today's price. Marc Faber and Dennis Gartman are bullish on NG, I am slightly positive and am bullish on drillers as a result, although the sentiment for onshore drillers is very negative(I like that). As for the risk premium built into crude, when it was at $70 everyone said it should be at $45, now it's at $90 people say it should sell for no more than $60. Just making an observation. NBR, HP, and GW should do well, NBR has exposure to Canada though. I own GW.

Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK