New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Value Ideas and Strategies
Share and discuss value investing ideas and investing strategies.
New Topic Search
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Build-A-Bear Or Run Away From It?
Posted by: Barel Karsan (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2012 08:26AM

Shares of Build-A-Bear (BBW) fell 30% last week after the company reported a lower-than-expected operating profit in its all important Christmas quarter. As a result, the company now trades for just a shade over $100 million despite a net cash balance of $46 million and decent operating cash flow over the last few years.

The company has been fairly friendly to shareholders over the last few years, slowing its expansion plans when results haven't materialized, and instead returning some cash to shareholders. The company has bought back $35+ million worth of shares in the last three years, and may do some more this year, considering the strong cash position and the share price weakness.

Since Build-A-Bear has been operating close to break-even for the last three years, management appears to be taking initiative on cutting costs going forward. The company will close 15 to 20 stores (out of its approximately 350) and relocate another 10 to 15 to smaller locations. Unfortunately, with five new store opening and five remodels also on the way, capex spend for 2012 is expected to match depreciation levels, suggesting the firm won't be generating cash like it did in 2010 and 2009 unless it is finally able to drive store profitability once again.

There is one major downside, however, relating to the company's leases. While Build-A-Bear has no "official" debt, it has minimum lease payments of almost $250 million due in the coming years. If business turns negative for some reason (a few failed films with which its products are associated, for example) things can go downhill in a hurry.

Can Build-A-Bear regain its footing as a profitable, cash-generating machine? Investors may not have to pay a whole to find out, but they do have to risk a lot!

Disclosure: No position

Stocks Discussed: BBW,
Rate this post:

Rating: 3.2/5 (9 votes)

Re Build-A-Bear Or Run Away From It
Posted by: kfh227 (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2012 10:22PM

I am currently researching Build a Bear.

I like alot of what I am reading.The qualitative pieces sound great. The company is very transparent and honest which is rare. The quantitative at first glance looks good. I am really on the fence at this point. I was wondering if you have any new comments on BBW.

Man, this thing is cheap assuming that things go well going forward. I think the housing market are going to turn soon along with unemployment levels. Consumers will be in better spirits and this is exactly the kind of company that could benefit.

Stocks Discussed: BBW,
Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK
Hide