New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Value Ideas and Strategies
Share and discuss value investing ideas and investing strategies.
New Topic Search
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Big Apple Bagels
Posted by: DavidWX (IP Logged)
Date: October 19, 2013 02:29PM

The May 2013 Microcap magic formula newsletter stock was Big Apple Bagels, with a target price of $1.00. However, if there we no new franchises, $.9 was considered a possible target, and most of that growth has already been seen.

Looking at the most recent earnings numbers, there is some small growth, but not enough to justify holding onto the stock. On the other hand, I would hate to sell it if the franchise brand is just catching on, and the activist investor mentioned in the report has just bought a little more stock.

Anyone heard anything?

Rate this post:

Rating: 3.0/5 (1 vote)

Re: Big Apple Bagels
Posted by: DavidWX (IP Logged)
Date: November 16, 2013 04:34PM

With the poison pill, the independent investors don't seem able to buy much more stock, and they don't seem to have enough leverage to make changes. Even if this business does well, the lions share of the benefits may make it to the management team in various ways. Microcap magic formula stocks have sometimes done very well for me in the past, but I no longer see much of an upside to this stock. Given that my trades are in an IRA and I won't even benefit from a tax loss, does anyone see any reason to hold onto this stock that I'm missing? I haven't forgotten the relatively safe five percent dividend, which isn't bad, but not quite enough for those of us seeking serious Alpha through the study of value investing and insider trading.

Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK
Email Hide