New Threads Only:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
New Threads & Replies:  Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Forums are for serious investors only. GuruFocus Forum Rules.

Forum List » Value Ideas and Strategies
Share and discuss value investing ideas and investing strategies.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
HMA
Posted by: PPC4 (IP Logged)
Date: January 18, 2007 02:58PM

Hey all,

I read an interesting article this morning in WSJ regarding HMA. It seems that management has decided to combat the possibility of LBO by adding on a larger debt load in order to pay a one time dividend to shareholders of 10 dollars per share payable in March...This seems like a "special situation" to me! Does anyone have any thoughts or analysis to share?

PPC4

Stocks Discussed: HMA,
Rate this post:

Rating: 2.5/5 (2 votes)

Re: HMA
Date: January 26, 2007 11:40PM

I know that there isn't alot to this post...but, I can't get over the one time dividend they're offering. I also can't get over the fact that the market isn't reflecting the announced dividend by upwardly pricing the shares. They're trading at 19-20 per share and offering a 10 dollar dividend. WHAT AM I MISSING HERE? I figure i'm either missing something simple or I'm seeing a ridiculous "special situations" opportunity.

HELP?

PPC4

PS If you're wondering about me: I'm a self taught investor who invests primarily for my immediate and extended family. My largest current holdings are BUD, DFC, MCD, and SHLD. Unless something drastic changes, i'll own these for a long time as I don't trade alot. I also own have an outsized portion of my networth in realestate...Land to rentals. The truth is...I just really enjoy the subject matter and look up gurufocus almost daily.

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.0/5 (2 votes)

Date: January 28, 2007 01:27PM

Thanks to Asif at Sinletter for his help. The issue with the HMA special dividend is that its essentially just a loan taken out by the company that will reprice the share value accordingly.

Rate this post:

Rating: 4.0/5 (3 votes)

Posted by: forestforever (IP Logged)
Date: September 4, 2007 02:39AM

insider buy...
By the way, how does this special divident prevent LBO?

Rate this post:

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial
FEEDBACK