Robert Shiller on the Housing Market

I found three recent videos of Robert Shiller discussing the housing market. He is pretty bearish and thinks the market might remain weak for years to come.

Below are the videos:

Robert Shiller on Fox Business News:

Watch the latest video atvideo.foxbusiness.com

Robert Shiller, noted Yale professor and co-founder of the S&P Case-Shiller Index, warns the housing market slump will likely continue for years to come.

There is no embed code for this one, but here is Robert Shiller and Carl Case on Bloomberg News:

Disclosure: None

Jacob Wolinsky
My investment ideas have been inspired by many of value investors including Benjamin Graham, Charles Royce, John Neff, Joel Greenblatt, Peter Lynch, Seth Klarman,Martin Whitman and Bruce Greenwald. .I live with my wife and daughter in Monsey, NY. I can be contacted jacobwolinsky(AT)gmail.com and my blog is www.valuewalk.com

Visit Jacob Wolinsky's Website

Rating: 4.1/5 (12 votes)

Comments

w1omega
W1omega - 2 years ago
Ironic that smart men like Schiller speak cautiously while ppl like Trump sound so sure of themselves.
paulji2001
Paulji2001 - 2 years ago

I have to disagree with Schiller. Places such as LA have seen strong demand for housing. Especially in areas such as Downtown, Mid Wilshire, and Koreatown.
NobleG1
NobleG1 - 2 years ago
Paulji2001, demand could be strong, but this could be occuring at distressed price levels...

yswolinsky
Yswolinsky - 2 years ago
Lol #1 so true!!
paulji2001
Paulji2001 - 2 years ago

Bill Ackman is forecasting housing prices to double in 5-10 years.
yswolinsky
Yswolinsky - 2 years ago
Interesting where did you see that?
paulji2001
Paulji2001 - 2 years ago

It was on a CNBC interview about a year or 2 ago.
yswolinsky
Yswolinsky - 2 years ago
Thanks Ill check for it. Dreman also is bullish on housing.
kfh227
Kfh227 premium member - 2 years ago

Ironic,

I don't see housing prices going anywhere for atelast 5 years.

And with energy prices going up and the US gov't not doing anything to move to natural gas (like it should be), people in colder cliamtes are going to want smaller homes. I'm personally thinking of downsizing due to heating costs.

So, while a housing recovery will happen, it might be in smaller homes. Even with higher commodity prices, smaller homes would act as a sort of yin-yang style mechnism in terms of pricing.

Hide