Over the years since we started in 2004, we have created many screens for our users to locate the best value investing ideas. With this article we would like to summarize these ideas.
We have added three monthly newsletters to the GuruFocus Premium Membership over the past three years. The newsletters are:
- Ben Graham Net-Net Newsletter (Monthly)
- Buffett-Munger Best Bargains Newsletter (Monthly)
- Micro-Cap Magic Formula Newsletter (Monthly)
If you are a premium member, these three newsletters are already included in your membership.
In addition, many screeners and analytical tools have been developed. In general, stock screeners on GuruFocus can be divided into three types of screens: Guru stock screeners, Insider stock screeners, and Value strategy screeners. We will discuss each of them in detail.
Guru Stock Screeners
- Latest Guru Picks: The most recent stock picks of investment gurus. Updated quarterly, typical lag time is 1-3 months. Real Time Picks, which are more timely, are available to Premium Members only.
- Guru Portfolios: The complete list of Gurus portfolios. Show you what are NEW positions, what are SOLD OUT, and CHANGE in number of shares. Allows you to drill into holdings by sectors/industries. Premium Memberships may download Guru Portfolios into Excel. GuruFocus just developed a GuruFolio - Comprehensive Guru Portfolio Reports In PDF Format.
- Consensus Picks: These stocks have been bought/sold by multiple gurus. You have the option to select the consensus picks at different time periods. The Consensus Picks are from the picks of this List of Gurus. The stock picks of Other Managers of Interest are not included in the calculation of Consensus Picks. If you would like to include some of them, you need to Build Your Personalized List of Gurus (Premium Members only).
- Bargains Candidates : These stocks have been down more than 20% since our gurus bought or recommended to buy. They can be candidates for bargains. You may buy these stocks at more than a 20% discount from the prices our gurus bought.
- Guru Achievers: These stocks have been up more than 50%! Do you wish you had bought it when investment gurus buy? I sure do! Following what gurus do can be rewarding!
- Guru Industry Weightings: Gurus' asset allocations by sectors, industries and trends.
- S&P500 Grid: S&P500 companies, and non-S&P500 companies that are owned, bought, and sold by Gurus.
- Model Portfolios: Model Portfolios consist of the most important Guru Picks in different aspects.
Premium Guru Screens:
- Build Your Personalized List of Gurus: Select your most respected investors from our databases of the best investors in the world. Find the consensus picks and holdings of your list of Gurus. Build aggregated Portfolios of Gurus.
- Guru Trend: Where to invest? Which sector? Large cap, mid cap, or small cap? Domestic or international? This section tells you in which market section Gurus are finding value and where Gurus are moving. You can see the trend of each individual Guru and the aggregate investment trend of Your List of Gurus.
- Real Time Picks: Real Time Guru Picks allow you to more closely follow the latest significant buys/sales of Gurus. The lag time is typically one week or even less. Real Time Guru Picks keeps you more closely updated.
- Picks by Section/Industry: This section allows you to drill down the stock picks of Gurus by sector/industry. Find out the most bought and most sold stocks of Gurus in the sectors/industries you are interested in.
- Picks by Market Cap: One of Joel Greenblatt’s secrets is to buy Small Cap Stocks. Warren Buffett said that he can still achieve more than 50% a year if he has only a million dollars. Why? Because he would have many more choices by buying Small Cap Stocks! Of course, you can also browse through Gurus Picks in Mega Caps, Large Caps, Mid Caps, and even Micro Caps.
- Excel Download: Download Guru portfolios and aggregate portfolios of multiple gurus into Excel worksheets. Sort the portfolios by number of Guru holders and combined weightings. Discover the best ideas of Gurus.
- International Picks: Need ideas in Europe? South America? or China? See what Gurus are buying there. Remember, you need a higher margin of safety for International Stocks.
- Most Active Buys/Sells: Browse through Most Active Buys/Sells by sector, market cap, and regions/countries.
- Guru Screener: Cannot find your best idea? Use the screening tools. Screen the Guru Stock Picks and Holdings with multiple factors, such as sector/industry, market cap, region, price change, impact to portfolio, number of Guru holders, etc. Find the stocks that satisfy your strictest criteria.
- Consensus Holdings — Most Weighted: Gurus own these stocks with the highest weighting. Gurus bet heavily on these stocks. They did well with this. During 2006 the 25 most weighted stocks outperformed the market by more than 9% WITHOUT rebalancing.
- Consensus Holdings — Broadest Owned: These stocks are owned by the most number of Gurus. If many Gurus like a stock, you may want to know what it is. Our model portfolio also shows that this group of stocks outperforms the market. You can drill down into the Broadest Owned Stocks by sectors/industries, large cap, mid cap and small cap, and county/region.
- Insider Buys: Most recent buys by company executives and directors.
- CEO Buys: Companies that are bought by their CEOs;
- CFO Buys: Companies that are bought by their CFOs
- Insider Cluster Buys: Stocks that multiple company officers and directors have bought. You can browse by the number of buying activities and the number of unique insider buys during the past three months.
- Double Buys: Companies that both Gurus and Insiders are buying
- Triple Buys: Companies that both Gurus and Insiders are buying, and the Company is buying back.
- 52-Week Low Insider Buys: Recent insider buys that are traded at 52-week lows.
Value Strategies and Screens:
Invest with strategies that have been proven successful over the long term.
- Graham NCAV Screener: Net-Current-Asset (Or "Bargain") issues as defined by Ben Graham.
- Buffett-Munger Screener: Companies with high-quality business at undervalued or fair-valued prices. Young Buffett and Munger may like these stocks to hold for the long term.
- Undervalued Companies: Top ranked predictable companies that are undervalued based on the DCF model.
- DCF Screener: Companies that are undervalued. Free cash flows are used in DCF calculations.
- Low P/B Companies: Predictable companies that are sold at close to historical low price/book ratios
- Low P/S Companies: Predictable companies that are sold at close to historical low price/sale ratios
- Predictable Companies: Companies with High Predictability. They are consistent with their revenue growth and earning growth.
- 52-Week Lows: Companies that are sold at 52-week lows.
- 52-Week Low Guru Stocks
- 52-week Lows by Industry: See what industries are out of favor. Browse through the 52-week lows within different industries.
This is a summary of what tools GuruFocus offers. Find the ones that fit your investing philosophy and stick to them. If you find these are too much, researching stocks might not be part of your interest. You may also benefit from these functions from the very simple DIY guides we have:
- A DIY Guide on How to Invest Using Guru Strategies
- A DIY Guide on How to Invest with Value Strategies
If you have any suggestions or comments, please let us know in the comment area of this article.
Many of these tools are for Premium Members only. If you are not a premium member, we invite you for a 7-day Free Trial.