THIS WEEK’S TOP FIVE BUYS
- Janus Capital Group Inc. (JNS) With the total transaction amount of $7,085,155.88, the Dai-ichi Life Insurance Co. Limited has purchased more than 750,000 shares of JNS, at a trading price of $9.34, reported on Oct. 8. Dai-ichi Life is the third largest life insurer in Japan, and 10 percent owner of JNS. When JNS announced in August that it entered into a strategic alliance with Dai-ichi, reports revealed that Da-ichi plans to acquire at least 15 percent, and no more than 20 percent of JNS outstanding common shares.
- Opko Health Inc. (OPK)With a total transaction amount of $1,022,997.00, Dr. Phillip Frost purchased more than 137,000 OPK shares on Oct. 8 and more than 95,000 OPK shares on Oct. 9, at an average price of $4.37 per stock. Dr. Frost became chairman and CEO of OPK in 2007, and is currently 10% owner of the company. Earlier this month, OPK announced the launch of 4Kscore, an initiative that’s part of Europe’s International Health Technology ProstateCheck program providing early detection services to patients suspected of having prostate cancer.
- American Pacific Corporation (APFC)With a total transaction amount of $601,740, Cornwall Capital Management LP has acquired more than 50,000 APFC shares at $12 per share, reported on Oct. 8. Cornwall Capital is a privately owned hedge fund firm and 10 percent owner of APFC. Last month, APFC redeemed $40 million of its outstanding senior notes, an action authorized by its board of directors in August. APFC still has about $65 million senior notes that remain outstanding.
- Universal Technical Institute Inc. (UTI) With a total transaction amount of $581,444.18, Stadium Capital Partners LP has purchased more than 43,000 UTI shares at $13.41 per share, reported on Oct. 9. Stadium Capital is a privately owned hedge fund sponsor, and 10 percent owner of UTI. As a national provider of technical education training, UTI announced on Oct. 1 of its choice to reduce its workforce of about 50 employees nationwide. The decision was made to better align the academic provider’s costs to its lower average student population.
- Opko Health Inc. (OPK)
With a total transaction amount of $43,400, Dr. Jane H. Hsiao has purchased 10,000 OPK shares at $4.34 per share, reported on Oct. 9. Dr. Hsiao has served as OPK’s vice chairman and chief technical officer since May 2007. She is also currently 10% owner of OPK, and currently holds more than 33 million OPK shares after the purchase.
About GuruFocus Real Time Insider Data
If you would like to view the most recent insider buys, visit GuruFocus Real Time Insider Buys. You can also view the most recent insider sells at GuruFocus Real Time Insider Sells.
In 2010, GuruFocus held a three-part Insider Research series examining the relevance of Insider trading activity within companies. The research revealed many interesting facts about incorporating the gathered information to personal investment strategies, as it contributed to the development in the Insider tracking and alert tools offered on GuruFocus. You can view the three-part research series by visiting the following links:
Guru Insider Research (I): The Summary of Previous Research Results
Guru Insider Research (II): Can Aggregated Insider Trading Activities Predict the Market?
Guru Insider Research (III): Can Aggregated Insider Trading Activities Predict the Market of Different Sectors?
- CEO Buys, CFO Buys: Stocks that are bought by their CEO/CFOs.
- Insider Cluster Buys: Stocks that multiple company officers and directors have bought.
- Double Buys:: Companies that both Gurus and Insiders are buying
- Triple Buys: Companies that both Gurus and Insiders are buying, and Company is buying back.