The premise for The First 90 Days is that career transitions are critical times for managers to make an impact on a new organization (or a new part of your current organization), and success in the first few months largely determines overall success in the role. This is significant for investors given the turnover in the finance industry over the last few years.
The basic structure of the book is as follows:
- Prepare Yourself (take a mental break)
- Accelerate your Learning (plan to learn and find the best ways to do it quickly)
- Match Strategy to Situation (assess what type of transition situation you are going through)
- Negotiate Success (working well with your new boss)
- Secure Early Wins (get started!)
- Achieve Alignment (be the organization’s architect)
- Build Your Team (working well with your subordinates)
- Create Alliances (working well with your peers)
- Manage Yourself (personal leadership)
- Accelerate Everyone (spread change)
STARS: the approach you take to your transitional period and the resources you need will depend on the type of situation you are managing (STARS: Start-up, Turnaround, Accelerated Growth, Realignment, Sustaining Success).
Conversations: The quality of conversations you have with your new boss and employees will impact your success in your new role. Watkins suggests attempting to cover each of the following topics in the first conversations with your new colleagues
- Situation – Where are we, how did we get here, what is working, what isnt working
- Expectations – what needs to be done, what does success look like, how is performance measured
- Resources – what do you need (resources, help)
- Style – how do you prefer to interact, how are decisions made
- Personal Development – strengths, development areas, training needs
- Bring the team together in person (early on) if possible
- Establish communication norms (channels, meeting times, response times)
- Create interaction routines (agendas, regular meetings)
- Celebrate success together so people don’t feel disconnected
If you’ve read The First 90 Days, leave your thoughts below.
Buy This Book Here
Author Disclosure: This book was provided by the publisher for review.