He discussed a number of stocks in the interview:
1. REIT company Winthrop Realty Trust (FUR). Bruce held 1.14 million shares of FUR as of September 30, 2009 and he bought some more just recently. He likes the small REIT because of its smart management also has owner-operator mentality.
2. He mentioned The St. Joe Company (JOE) because the company IS the panhandle of Florida and the federal government is opening up a new airport to the region. Gurufocus shows he owns 25.6 million shares of JOE.
3. Sears Holdings Corp. (SHLD) -- Bruce invests money with Investment Guru Edward Lampert here. He owns more than 15 million shares here. At $100 per share, that is a lot of money even for Fairholme Fund. He smiles and praises Lampert for the wonderful job he did recently on retailing front. He also like the company’s stock repurchase program.
4. Much of Bruce’s portfolio is in Health Care sector, of which he mentioned Humana Inc. (HUM). He owns about 15 million shares last time he reported. He thinks Humana may become GEICO in the Health Care insurance arena. If not, he still like it because of the amount of cash it generates.
GuruFocus is invited to submit questions for an interview with Bruce Berkowitz. Through 9:00AM EST, Friday, January 8, 2010, you can submit your question by click here and submit your questions.
Also check out:
- Bruce Berkowitz Undervalued Stocks
- Bruce Berkowitz Top Growth Companies
- Bruce Berkowitz High Yield stocks, and
- Stocks that Bruce Berkowitz keeps buying