Switch to:
GuruFocus has detected 5 Warning Signs with Statoil ASA $FRA:DNQA.
More than 500,000 people have already joined GuruFocus to track the stocks they follow and exchange investment ideas.
Statoil ASA (FRA:DNQA)
Total Assets
€99,090 Mil (As of Dec. 2016)

Statoil ASA's total assets for the quarter that ended in Dec. 2016 was €99,090 Mil.

During the past 12 months, Statoil ASA's average Total Assets Growth Rate was -1.60% per year. During the past 3 years, the average Total Assets Growth Rate was -0.90% per year. During the past 5 years, the average Total Assets Growth Rate was 2.50% per year. During the past 10 years, the average Total Assets Growth Rate was 8.50% per year.

During the past 13 years, Statoil ASA's highest 3-Year average Total Assets Growth Rate was 26.00%. The lowest was -1.10%. And the median was 9.25%.

Total Assets is connected with Return on Assets (ROA). Statoil ASA's annualized Return on Assets (ROA) for the quarter that ended in Dec. 2016 was -10.56%. Total Assets is also linked to revenue through asset turnover. Statoil ASA's asset turnover for the quarter that ended in Dec. 2016 was 0.12.


Definition

Total assets are all the assets a company owns.

From the capital sources of the assets, some of the assets are funded through shareholder’s paid in capital and retained earnings of the business. Others are funded through borrowed money.

Statoil ASA's Total Assets for the fiscal year that ended in Dec. 2016 is calculated as

Total Assets=Total Current Assets+Total Long Term Assets
=Total Current Assets+(Net PPE+Intangibles+Other Long-Term Assets)
=24074.3198407+(56456.5361646+8761.96795905+5446.96179733)
=94,740

Total Assets=Total Shareholder’s Equity (A: Dec. 2016 )+Total Liabilities (A: Dec. 2016 )
=33246.7532468+65843.207887
=99,090

Statoil ASA's Total Assets for the quarter that ended in Dec. 2016 is calculated as

Total Assets=Total Current Assets+Total Long Term Assets
=Total Current Assets+(Net PPE+Intangibles+Other Long-Term Assets)
=24074.3198407+(56456.5361646+8761.96795905+5446.96179733)
=94,740

Total Assets=Total Shareholder’s Equity (Q: Dec. 2016 )+Total Liabilities (Q: Dec. 2016 )
=33246.7532468+65843.207887
=99,090

* All numbers are in millions except for per share data and ratio. All numbers are in their local exchange's currency.


Explanation

Total Assets is connected with Return on Assets.

Statoil ASA's annualized Return on Assets (ROA) for the quarter that ended in Dec. 2016 is

ROA=Net Income (Q: Dec. 2016 )/( (Total Assets (Q: Sep. 2016 )+Total Assets (Q: Dec. 2016 ))/ 2 )
=-10579.2018201/( (101209.12412+99089.9611338)/ 2 )
=-10579.2018201/100149.542627
=-10.56 %

Note: The Net Income data used here is four times the quarterly (Dec. 2016) net income data.

In the article Joining The Dark Side: Pirates, Spies and Short Sellers, James Montier reported that In their US sample covering the period 1968-2003, Cooper et al find that firms with low asset growth outperformed firms with high asset growth by an astounding 20% p.a. equally weighted. Even when controlling for market, size and style, low asset growth firms outperformed high asset growth firms by 13% p.a. Therefore a company with fast asset growth may underperform.

Total Assets is linked to total revenue through Asset Turnover.

Statoil ASA's Asset Turnover for the quarter that ended in Dec. 2016 is

Asset Turnover
=Sales/Average Total Assets
=Revenue (Q: Dec. 2016 )/( (Total Assets (Q: Sep. 2016 )+Total Assets (Q: Dec. 2016 ))/ 2 )
=12092.1414352/( (101209.12412+99089.9611338)/ 2 )
=12092.1414352/100149.542627
=0.12

* All numbers are in millions except for per share data and ratio. All numbers are in their local exchange's currency.

Therefore, if a company grows its assets faster than its sales, the asset turnover will decline. This might be a warning sign for the business.


Related Terms

Return on Assets, Assets Turnover, Net Income, Revenue, Total Current Assets, Net PPE, Intangibles, Other Long-Term Assets, Total Shareholder’s Equity, Total Liability


Historical Data

* All numbers are in millions except for per share data and ratio. All numbers are in their local exchange's currency.

Statoil ASA Annual Data

Dec07Dec08Dec09Dec10Dec11Dec12Dec13Dec14Dec15Dec16
Total Assets 61,11661,46166,66182,71797,864107,059106,299107,602100,74599,090

Statoil ASA Quarterly Data

Sep14Dec14Mar15Jun15Sep15Dec15Mar16Jun16Sep16Dec16
Total Assets 111,163107,602114,262107,593103,480100,745101,29598,823101,20999,090
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
FEEDBACK