Forum List » Job Board
Money firms, post your job openning here if you want top-talented analysts. Job seekers, post your resume here if you want a job in money management industry.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
GuruFocus Columnists Wanted
Posted by: gurufocus (IP Logged)
Date: August 14, 2005 07:29AM

GuruFocus has been dedicated to quality value investing ideas and stories. Our visitors are also mostly sophisticated investors, as we can see from the comments we have received.

GuruFocus is looking for columnists to write Columns about their investing philosophy, ideas, strategies and methodology on how they spot values. Columns of interesting value ideas are also welcome.

These columns will be published on GuruFocus.com, they will also appear on Yahoo News
and Google news.

Writing columns is a great way to share your ideas and strategies. If you are an investment professional, writing columns will help you to build reputation and grow your business. If you are new to investing, and like to start a career in investing. GuruFocus is a great place to start.

No monetary compensation will be given to columnists. A short bio of the columnists will be attached to each of their articles. If the columnists prefer, links to their sites will be included in the bio.

We expect that our columnist can write at least one article a month. After 5 articles your name will show up on the left sidebar a columnist.

If interested, please contact us

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.2/5 (95 votes)

Re: GuruFocus Columnists Wanted
Posted by: BrianMcM (IP Logged)
Date: January 1, 2008 03:59PM

I would be interested in contributing. What is the arrangement? Would you include a free subscription to our website?

I am a reasonably articulate writer and very interested student of deep value investing. As an owner of several funds run by deep value investors like David Dreman (DHG), I attend all conference calls, receive SEC filings and read whatever I can on said investors (including Buffett, Heebner, Bill Miller, Michael Price, Jeremy Grantham, etc).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Brian McMorris

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.1/5 (83 votes)

Posted by: gurufocus (IP Logged)
Date: January 4, 2008 09:11AM

Thank you very much for your interest in writing for GuruFocus.com, Brian!

Yes, we are looking for individual investors as well as investment professionals who are passionate about investing research writing columns on our site. Could you please send me any materials related the previous investment writings?

We don't have specific requriements on articles' length or format, but they must be based on solid research, and not promotional. We expect that our columnists write at least one article a month. Please note that columnists are not compensated monetarily. In each article, upon to the agreement of the author, the author's name, email/website will be listed. This will help the columnists build reputations. These articles will also appear on Google News, Google Finance, and Yahoo News.

We do require columnists disclose their positions if they discuss certain companies in their columns.

Once the columnists show commitment of writing, we usually give them a complimentary Premium Membership.

You are certainly welcome to submit articles. You can email the articles to us at We will review the articles once we receive them.

With best regards!

GuruFocus
Stock Picks and Market Insight of Gurus

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.1/5 (80 votes)

Posted by: guywag (IP Logged)
Date: January 19, 2008 09:19AM

Good morning.

I would be interested in contributing as a columnist. Here is an example of something I just wrote about financial stocks.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Guy

'I sometimes wonder why a lot of value managers (and some - like Oakmark and Pzena - have very impressive track records) seem so keen on investing in financial stocks, often saying that current prices represent huge long term opportunities.

Apart from the fact that there is still huge uncertainty as to the amount of near-term write-offs linked to real estate, there is the possibility of new problems coming from the CDS (Credit Default Swaps) market which has exploded in size over the last 4-5 years or from credit cards.

More importantly, these investors seem to implicitly assume that once this crisis is over, industry profits will quickly come back to their pre-crisis level. This seems quite naïve. After all, if the share of financial profits as a percentage of US GDP has exploded over the last few years, it is because of the contribution of the securitization boom and of private equity and hedge funds. Is it really prudent (remember, these are value investors!) to think that this trend will resume given the severity of the current crisis (and given the fact that banks will aggressively compete for deposits, bringing down margins)? And if not, would it be inept to assume that 'normalized' earnings for a lot of banks might only be half of their recent peak levels, or even lower? And if so, do current valuations still look that attractive?

After the S&L crisis in the early 90's, some people spoke of a darwinian environment in which the strong banks would get stronger (which is what happened). In the current environment, it is the 'strong' which seem especially vulnerable and in need of new capital. This capital increasingly comes from the so-called developing world. Whereas in a normal environment, their investments might have wounded some people's national pride, they are currently very welcome.

Which brings me to my last point. If you really want to own financial stocks, why not own those of the developing world? In most of these regions, traditional banking (mortgages, car loans, credit cards, etc.) is still a growth business given the increase in living standards. In contrast with their western counterparts, these banks didn't and do not (yet?) need to do a lot of silly and irresponsible things in order to be able to show their shareholders ever-increasing earnings. Banks like UOB in Singapore, Siam Commercial Bank and Bangkok Bank in Thailand or Kookmin Bank in South Korea (to name just a few) therefore seem like much-better long term investments than the likes of Citigroup or UBS.'

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.2/5 (77 votes)

Posted by: Praveen Chawla (IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2008 05:58PM

I would be interested in sharing my ideas with your forum. I started investing in earnest in 1999 (at the height of the dot com bubble and inspite of investing in Worldcom have done better than the major indicies). I try to look for broad trends in the market place with a focus on long term, secular trends.

Here is an example of my investment thesis:

I am currently intrigued by the capitulation of Toshiba in the HD-Blu Ray war. Blu-Ray has clearly won. If so Sony will reap a bonanza of royalty income for a generation.

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.3/5 (80 votes)

Posted by: alphadawgg (IP Logged)
Date: May 3, 2008 11:56PM

Hello.

I'm an investment professional managing SMAs for individuals and non-profits.

I would be glad to share some of my ideas, investing philosophy, strategies and methodology on how I invest based on a value approach.

My professional designations include CPA and CFP. Also, I'm currently a Level I candidate for the CFA designation. I have eight years experience as a CPA and over 13 years experience as an investment professional.

If you have any specific topics of current interest you would like covered, please let me know. Otherwise, I will submit my first article to you this month.

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.1/5 (82 votes)

Posted by: abronton (IP Logged)
Date: July 10, 2008 01:26AM

I currently right for several local Chicago area newspapers as well as I have been published in Investment Advisor, Wealth Manager and Money magazine.

Thanks,
Allen Bronton

(815) 261-4411 ext. 201

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.1/5 (87 votes)

Posted by: Ryan Vanzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 4, 2009 08:17PM

If you were a writer you might be able to spell 'write' right.

"I currently right for..."

Spell check makes you sounds smart.

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.3/5 (82 votes)

Posted by: Max7777 (IP Logged)
Date: March 5, 2009 09:09PM

spelling is not relevant. 18 century Japan got stuck on perfecting traditions like tea ceremonies, while the world went ahead. Perfect spelling has no real value here. Only ideas and content matters. Give my insightful thoughts but spell however you want.

But I do agree with you, that using spellcheck does make you sound (?? sounds ????) smart

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.2/5 (84 votes)

Posted by: David Pinsen (IP Logged)
Date: March 5, 2009 09:52PM

Using spell check (or a browser such as Firefox that includes a spell check function) wouldn't have prevented him from writing "right" instead of "write", since "right" is in fact spelled correctly, although the correct word in that sentence obviously would have been "write". Proofreading is required to catch homonym mistakes like that.

My signature: I blog at [steamcatapult.com]

Rate this post:

Rating: 2.3/5 (82 votes)

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Please Login if you have an account or Create a Free Account if you don't
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)