1. How to use GuruFocus - Tutorials
  2. What Is in the GuruFocus Premium Membership?
  3. A DIY Guide on How to Invest Using Guru Strategies

ADESA Inc. Reports Operating Results (10-K)

February 24, 2011 | About:


Inc. (NYSE:KAR) filed Annual Report for the period ended 2010-12-31.

Kar Auction Services Inc. has a market cap of $2.03 billion; its shares were traded at around $15.02 with a P/E ratio of 17.3 and P/S ratio of 1.2. Mutual Fund and Other Gurus that owns KAR: Mario Gabelli of GAMCO Investors.

Highlight of Business Operations:

KAR Auction Services (formerly KAR Holdings, Inc.) was incorporated in 2006 and commenced operations in April 2007 upon the consummation of the 2007 Transactions. On November 3, 2009, we changed our name from KAR Holdings, Inc. to KAR Auction Services, Inc. ADESA entered the vehicle remarketing industry in 1989 and first became a public company in 1992. In 1994, ADESA acquired AFC. ADESA remained a public company until 1995 when ALLETE purchased a majority of its outstanding equity interests. In June 2004, ALLETE sold 20% of ADESA to the public and then spun off their remaining 80% interest to shareholders in September 2004. ADESA was acquired by the Company in April 2007. IAAI entered the vehicle salvage business in 1982, and first became a public company in 1991. After growing through a series of acquisitions, IAAI was acquired by affiliates of Kelso & Company and Parthenon Capital in 2005. Affiliates of Kelso & Company and Parthenon Capital and certain members of IAAI management contributed IAAI to KAR Auction Services in connection with the 2007 Transactions. On December 16, 2009, we sold 25,000,000 shares of common stock in an initial public offering. In addition, on December 23, 2009, the underwriters of the initial public offering exercised a portion of their option to purchase additional shares, resulting in an additional 2,656,050 shares of common stock being sold.

The North American used vehicle auction market is largely consolidated. We estimate that Manheim, a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, and ADESA represent approximately 45% - 50% and approximately 22% of the North American whole car market, respectively, and no other whole car auction represents more than 3%. The North American salvage vehicle auction market is also largely consolidated with the top two competitors, IAAI and Copart, each representing an estimated 35% to 40% of the market, and no other competitor representing more than 10%.

From 2005 through 2010, we grew our whole car and salvage revenue per vehicle at compound annual growth rates of 5.5% and 2.9%, respectively. Increased utilization of ancillary services, selective fee increases

We operate as three reportable business segments: ADESA Auctions, IAAI and AFC. Our revenues for the year ended December 31, 2010 were distributed as follows: ADESA 59%, IAAI 34% and AFC 7%. Geographic information as well as comparative segment revenues and related financial information pertaining to ADESA,

Read the The complete Report

About the author:

Charlie Tian, Ph.D. - Founder of GuruFocus. You can now order his book Invest Like a Guru on Amazon.

Rating: 1.0/5 (3 votes)


Please leave your comment:

GuruFocus has detected 6 Warning Signs with KAR Auction Services Inc $KAR.
More than 500,000 people have already joined GuruFocus to track the stocks they follow and exchange investment ideas.

Performances of the stocks mentioned by 10qk

User Generated Screeners

pbarker46Begin here 3
DBrizan2017sep22 1045p
andrewgu999nick scali style
liuzishudeep value non-div
star1907Rule #1
star1907C3 20% Growth 5 yr
EhrlingerT. Rowe Price Group
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)

GF Chat