We are pleased to announce we have given birth to a new user-defined function within our Excel Add-In: GURUE.
The GuruFocus Excel Add-in UDF Library family tree now has three siblings: GURUF, which allows you to download stock financial data, GURUG, which allows you to download guru trade data, and GURUE, which allows you to download economic indicator data.
What are economic indicators?
Investopedia defines an economic indicator as a piece of economic data, usually on a macroeconomic scale, that helps to judge the overall health of the economy. Common economic indicators include the Wilshire 5000 full cap price index and the U.S. gross domestic product, the two key components of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK.A, Financial)(BRK.B, Financial) CEO Warren Buffett (Trades, Portfolio)s favorite market indicator. Other economic indicators include the 10-year Treasury constant maturity rate and the China / U.S. foreign exchange rate, two key economic indicators as investors grapple with ongoing geopolitical issues like Brexit, the Federal Reserve and the U.S.-China trade war.
The Excel Add-In page contains two large blue buttons near the top: Download Excel Add-In and Download GURUF for Mac. Click on the first button if you have a PC computer or the second button if you have the Mac Excel 2016 version. Once you finish installing the Excel Add-In, you should see a GuruFocus tab in Excel as Figure 2 illustrates. If not, please follow the Installation Troubleshooting steps as outlined on the Excel Add-In page.
Click on the Insert GURUF button, the one containing a black f(x) circle, to open the Insert User Defined Function pop-up window as shown in Figure 3.
Note: If you have not downloaded our GuruUDFLibrary add-in, you will see a dialog box prompting you to install the GURUF functions.
Using GURUE to retrieve economic data
As Figure 3 illustrates, the GURUE function contains the following parameters:
- Indicator (required): Enter the name of the economic indicator you wish to retrieve data for, e.g., The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) or China / U.S. Foreign Exchange Rate (DEXCHUS).
- Year (month): Enter the month or year you wish to retrieve data. For example, 2019-06 for June 2019, 2019-04:2019-06 for the period between April 2019 and the end of May 2019, 2019-05: for all dates since May 2019 or 2018 for all dates for year 2018.
- Show Date: Enter Y to show the dates or N to not show the dates.
- Transpose: Enter H to display the data horizontally, i.e., as a row. Or enter V to display the data vertically, i.e., as a column.
- Display Order: Enter A to display the data in ascending order, with the older dates toward the left or top. Enter D to display the data in descending order, with the newer dates toward the left or top.
= GURUE (The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA), 2019-06:,Y,V,D) outputs the closing values of the Dow for each day since June 1, with the most recent dates at the top.
= GURUE (China / U.S. Foreign Exchange Rate (DEXCHUS), 2019,Y,H,A) outputs the daily Chinese yuan to U.S. dollar exchange rate for all of 2019 so far, with the rates from January on the left and the rates from the past few days on the right.
A word on data limits for Premium members
The GuruFocus Premium Plus membership gives access to several of our advanced features, including backtesting in the All-in-One Screener up to 2006, the Manual of Stock downloads for a custom set of companies, portfolio and Real-Time Trades data on over 4,000 financial institutions and unlimited data downloads through our Excel Add-In. While Premium members can still use the above features, the Premium membership limits backtesting to just the past three years and the Manual of Stock downloads to just the one containing all 500 companies on the Standard & Poors 500 index.
Most importantly, the Premium membership allows just 2,000 Excel Add-In queries per month. Each time a user loads a GURUF, GURUG or GURUE function, the user uses up one query. This means that downloading the share price of 100 companies uses 100 queries.
Disclosure: No positions.
Read more here:
- Meet GURUG, GURUFs New Cousin
- Updated Version of GuruFocus Screener Launches
- US Markets Remain Significantly Overvalued Despite Late-Summer Cooldown
Not a Premium Member of GuruFocus? Sign up for afree 7-day trial here.