|Volume:||1,635,004||Avg Vol (1m):||1,846,386|
|Market Cap $:||45.27 Bil||Enterprise Value $:||47.29 Bil|
|Earnings Power Value||187.22|
|Net Current Asset Value||-18.64|
|Median P/S Value||352.02|
|Peter Lynch Value||398.05|
|DCF (FCF Based)||286.6|
|DCF (Earnings Based)||660.75|
- Data to be presented at the European Congress of Rheumatology (EULAR) 2019 highlight real-world evidence confirming the safety and efficacy of anti-TNF biosimilars and high adherence of patients to treatment
- Biogen’s three biosimilar treatments – BENEPALI™ (etanercept), FLIXABI™ (infliximab) and IMRALDI™ (adalimumab) – are estimated to save the European healthcare system 1.8 billion euros in 2019
- Biogen and its collaboration partner Samsung Bioepis are the first companies in Europe to market biosimilars that reference the three most prescribed anti-TNF biologic treatments, with approximately 145,000 patients currently on
Nightstar acquisition further bolsters Biogen’s pipeline with the addition of two mid- to late-stage clinical assets as well as preclinical programs
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., June 07, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Biogen ( BIIB) today announced that it has completed its acquisition of Nightstar Therapeutics (NST; NITE), a clinical-stage gene therapy company, which is focused on adeno-associated virus (AAV) treatments for inherited retinal disorders. As a result of the acquisition, Biogen now has added two mid- to late-stage clinical assets, as well as preclinical programs, in
- Diroximel fumarate significantly reduced disease activity in newly diagnosed relapsing multiple sclerosis (MS) patients and those previously treated with interferons or glatiramer acetate
- Data show treatment discontinuations due to gastrointestinal (GI) events occurred at a low rate over one year
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., May 30, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Biogen Inc. ( BIIB) announced today new interim data from the ongoing open-label, pivotal EVOLVE-MS-1 study indicate that the investigational treatment diroximel fumarate was generally well tolerated in people with relapsing multiple sclerosis (MS). These results were
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., May 20, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Biogen Inc. ( BIIB) today announced that it has received notice of an unsolicited mini-tender offer by TRC Capital Corporation (TRC Capital) to purchase up to 500,000 shares of Biogen’s common stock at a price of $216.25 per share in cash.
Biogen does not endorse TRC Capital’s unsolicited mini-tender offer and recommends that stockholders do not tender their shares in response to TRC Capital’s offer because the offer is at a price below the current
- SPINRAZA becomes the first therapy recommended in the United Kingdom for 5q spinal muscular atrophy to treat all age groups, including patients who are pre-symptomatic
- More than 7,500 individuals have been treated with SPINRAZA worldwide in over 40 countries across the Expanded Access Program, clinical trials and post-marketing setting*
- Therapy is supported by a comprehensive clinical data set including new data on the longer-term durability and safety profile presented at the American Academy of Neurology Annual meeting
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., May 14, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) --
The fund established a stake in AbbVie Inc. (ABBV), buying 1.7 million shares. The trade had an impact of 3.64% on the portfolio.
The biopharmaceutical company has a market cap of $114.25 billion and an enterprise value of $112.09 billion.
GuruFocus gives the company a profitability and growth rating of 8 out of 10. The return on assets of 8.55% is outperforming 78% of companies in the Drug Manufacturers - Major industry.
Biogen (BIIB) dropped sharply on news it was canceling its once-promising Alzheimer’s drug, Aducanumab. One of the first Alzheimer’s drugs to make it to phase three trials, Aducanumab, had extraordinary potential but was canceled after disappointing trial results led Biogen to determine it was no longer a cost-effective investment. Still, they are the most focused company we can find in researching diseases of the brain like multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, and ALS. Biogen is now trading at under 11x earnings and has remained flexible with nearly $5 billion in cash and equivalents.
From [url=http://www.gurufocus.com/StockBuy.php?GuruName=Jeff+Auxier]Jeff Auxier[/url] ([url=http://www.gurufocus.com/StockBuy.php?GuruName=Jeff+Auxier]Trades[/url],
Spring 2019 Market Commentary
Favorable economic trends in the US continued in the first quarter. Consumer spending comprises over two thirds of the US economy. Services are also big, contributing over 68% of US GDP and over 83% of private employment (Moody’s). Lower oil prices, declining borrowing costs, regulatory relief and increasing wages have provided a positive backdrop. Credit spreads are still very tight despite the accelerating growth in covenant-lite corporate debt and leveraged loans. The Fed made a material reversal at year-end and lower interest rates have fueled gains for both stocks and bonds. Unprecedented technological innovation is driving
- Updated results support lower risk of PML with extended interval dosing (EID; approximately every six weeks) for TYSABRI® (natalizumab) in patients in a real-world setting
- New interim data further support safety and efficacy of Biogen and Alkermes’ investigational treatment, diroximel fumarate, to be marketed as VUMERITY™ if approved by the FDA
- Pooled Phase 3 data reinforce efficacy profile of TECFIDERA® (dimethyl fumarate)
That stock was Biogen (NASDAQ:BIIB), a biopharmaceutical company. It sliced 69 basis points from the Fund’s return, as the stock plunged 21.5% from $300.92 to $236.38. (For this report, we quote total return to the portfolio, which includes price change and dividends.) Advanced clinical trials for Biogen’s new Alzheimer’s drug failed, prompting the drug’s withdrawal. The failure dashed the hopes of Biogen’s shareholders, scientists and society, which still grapples with this devastating and incurable disease. Despite the setback, we believe Biogen can recover based on the company’s leadership positions in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and spinal muscular atrophy.
According to GuruFocus Insider Data, these are the largest CEO buys during the past week.
Biogen CEO bought 4,351 shares
Biogen Inc. (BIIB) CEO Michel Vounatsos bought 4,351 shares on May 1 at a price of $231.48. The price of the stock has decreased by 0.13% since.
Biogen and Idec merged in 2003, combining forces to market Biogen's multiple sclerosis drug Avonex and Idec's cancer drug Rituxan. Today, Rituxan and next-generation antibody Gazyva are marketed via a collaboration with Roche. Biogen markets novel MS drugs Tysabri and Tecfidera independently. Hemophilia therapies Eloctate and Alprolix (partnered with SOBI) were spun off
- Treatment with SPINRAZA resulted in clinically meaningful improvements in motor-function and survival in individuals with spinal muscular atrophy
- Treating pre-symptomatic infants with SPINRAZA helped patients in the NURTURE study achieve motor milestones more consistent with normal development
- More than 7,500 individuals have been treated with SPINRAZA worldwide in over 40 countries across the expanded access program, clinical trials and post-marketing setting
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., May 06, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Biogen Inc. ( BIIB) today announced new data affirming the safety and durability of SPINRAZA® (nusinersen) and
The largest insider buys this week were Philip Morris International Inc. (PM), Biogen Inc. (BIIB), Cerner Corp. (CERN) and Archer Daniels Midland Co. (ADM).
Philip Morris vice president bought 2,500 shares
Senior Vice President of Commercial Transformation Michael R. Kunst bought 2,500 shares on April 29 for an average price of $84.67. The share price has increased by 1.22% since then.
The American international cigarette and tobacco manufacturing company is best known for its Marlboro brand. The company has sold products in over 180 countries and is a component of the S&P 100. The company has a market capitalization of
- Tofersen, an antisense oligonucleotide (ASO) that selectively targets the genetic driver of disease, is being studied for the potential treatment of ALS in adults with a confirmed superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1) mutation
- Late breaking interim data to be presented at the American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting (AAN) show a statistically significant reduction in SOD1 protein levels and a numerical trend towards slowing of clinical decline in SOD1-ALS patients treated with tofersen
- Biogen recently initiated VALOR, a phase 3 clinical trial to confirm the efficacy and safety of
With the goal of generating long-term capital growth and future income, the guru’s fund, which is part of Boston-based State Street Global Advisors, picks stocks based on the company’s potential to increase net income and dividends over time.
Based on these criteria, Carlson established holdings in Elanco Animal Health Inc. (ELAN) and Lyft Inc. (LYFT) during the quarter. He sold out of Biogen Inc. (BIIB).
Elanco Animal Health
The guru invested
- Data demonstrate that pre-symptomatic infants with SMA treated with SPINRAZA® (nusinersen) over three years achieved motor milestones that are more consistent with normal childhood development
- Late-breaking data expand on safety and exploratory efficacy results of a study investigating tofersen (BIIB067) for the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with a confirmed superdioxide dismutate 1 (SOD1) mutation
- Data from industry-leading multiple sclerosis (MS) portfolio and pipeline highlight ongoing innovations to meet the diverse needs of people living with MS, including additional pivotal data for diroximel fumarate
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., May
- Patients, aged five up to 19, treated with SPINRAZA over three years demonstrated clinically significant improvements in motor function and stabilization of disease activity
- One individual gained the ability to walk independently – an achievement that has not been previously observed in untreated individuals with SMA Type 2
- Data also demonstrated long-term durability and safety of treatment in individuals with later-onset SMA, including SMA Type 3
- As of March 31, 2019, over 7,500 patients have been treated with SPINRAZA in more than 40 countries
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 30, 2019 (GLOBE
Nominees Bring Decades of Management and Global Operating Experience, Including at Leading Healthcare Companies
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 29, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Biogen ( BIIB) today announced the nomination of John R. Chiminski, William A. Hawkins and Jesus B. Mantas to stand for election to the company’s board of directors at its 2019 annual meeting of stockholders, scheduled for June 19, 2019.
Mr. Chiminski is Chair of the board and Chief Executive Officer of Catalent, Inc., a global provider of advanced delivery
As of March 31, 2019, the (“NAV”) of the Parnassus Endeavor Fund — Investor Shares was $34.19, so the total return for the quarter was 18.43%. This compares to 13.65% for the S&P 500 Index (“S&P 500”) and 13.14% for the Lipper Multi-Cap Core Funds Average, which represents the average return of the multi-cap core funds followed by Lipper (“Lipper average”). For the quarter, the Fund earned more than five percentage points more than the Lipper average and almost five percentage points more than the S&P 500. Below you will find a table giving the total returns for the one-,
We all know the story of David vs. Goliath. So can the Davids of the pharmaceutical industry duplicate the young Israelite’s success and help take down a mammoth disease desperate for effective treatments?
Of course, it’s going take a lot more than a crude weapon to make inroads against the devastating effects of Alzheimer’s. The battlefield is littered with companies that have tried and failed. The need is critical: Alzheimer’s now affects more than 5 million Americans, according to the Alzheimer's Association. It’s projected that unless new ways are found to prevent or treat the disease, the total could climb