GuruFocus Premium Membership

Serving Intelligent Investors Since 2004

Try It 100% FREE for 7 Days!

Free 7-day Trial
All Articles and Columns »

Choo Bee Metal - Malaysia-Listed Net-Net Steel Trader

November 13, 2012 | About:
Choo Bee Metal Industries (CBEE.MK) is principally engaged in the manufacture of flat-based steel products, including pipes and tubes, hollow sections and stainless steel products and the trading in a range of flat and long-based steel products such as structural steel and building materials. The trading division generates 60% of revenue, while the manufacturing division contributes the other 40%.


Choo Bee is a net-net trading at 0.54x P/NCAV and 0.37x P/NTA. Its current P/NTA valuation represents a 21% discount to its five-year average P/NTA of 0.47.

Financial Risks

Choo Bee has a strong financial position with a gross debt-to-equity ratio of 5.3%. In addition, Choo Bee has a current ratio of 7.4x and an interest coverage of 17.5x.

Business Quality and Capital Allocation

Volatility in international steel prices have limited or no impact on Choo Bee, as it operates in a protected market where importation is prohibited. Choo Bee sources its main raw material, hot rolled coil from a sole domestic supplier Megasteel.

Choo Bee has a 37% dividend payout ratio and a dividend yield of 4.4%. It has paid out a dividend every year since 2003, with a minimum of RM$0.05 dividend per share.


The executive chairman of Choo Bee, Soon Lian Huat, is the founder of Choo Bee Metal Industries Berhad and has over 50 years experience in the iron and steel business. He has a deemed interest of 57.85% in the company's stock.


Debt-free with a consistent dividend policy, Choo Bee is attractively valued at 0.54x P/NCAV and 0.37x P/NTA.


The author does not have a position in any of the stocks mentioned.

About the author:

Mark Lin
Mark is a private value investor and runs the Cheapskate Investing website which borrows from the wisdom of value investing giants, using a systematic quantitative screening approach to filter the global stock markets for cheap deep-value cigar-butts and wide-moat compounders. He publishes value investing case studies, investment checklists, and potential stock ideas on the Cheapskate Investing blog. He is also a regular contributor to various value investing communities.

Visit Mark Lin's Website

Rating: 2.6/5 (5 votes)


Please leave your comment:

Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)
Free 7-day Trial