1. How to use GuruFocus - Tutorials
  2. What Is in the GuruFocus Premium Membership?
  3. A DIY Guide on How to Invest Using Guru Strategies
Julie Young
Julie Young
Articles (1177) 

US Indexes Close Higher on Monday

Nasdaq gains 0.62%

June 17, 2019 | About:

The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 26,112.53 on Monday with a gain of 22.92 points or 0.09%. The S&P 500 closed at 2,889.67 for a gain of 2.69 points or 0.09%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 7,845.02 for a gain of 48.37 points or 0.62%. The VIX Volatility Index was higher at 15.36 for a gain of 0.08 points or 0.52%.

Monday’s market movers

Investors started the week with a mild appetite for risk as international trade tensions continue to be a top equity market factor, but the Federal Reserve’s monetary policy meeting this week could also provide indications for a rate hike to fuel stock buying. The Fed begins its June meeting on Tuesday. Markets are pricing in an approximately 25% chance of a rate decrease this week and a 75% chance of a decrease in September.

Economic reports affecting market trading included the following:

  • The National Association of Homebuilders Housing Market Index decreased to 64 from 66.
  • The Treasury held auctions for three-month bills at a rate of 2.17% and sux-month bills at a rate of 2.13%.
  • The Treasury’s International Capital report showed overall net capital flows of -$7.8 billion in April, foreign bond investment of $16.9 billion and net long-term Treasury international capital flows of $46.9 billion.

In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led gains:

Small-cap stocks

In small caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1,532.75 for a gain of 10.25 points or 0.67%. The S&P 600 closed at 924.01 for a gain of 0.44 points or 0.05%. The Dow Jones Small-Cap Growth Total Stock Market Index closed at 9,803.16 for a gain of 59.40 points or 0.61%. The Dow Jones Small-Cap Value Total Stock Market Index closed at 9,360.31 for a loss of 14.60 points or -0.16%.

Other notable indexes

Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 1,899.56 for a loss of 0.36 points or -0.02%; the S&P 100 at 1,277.35 for a gain of 2.95 points or 0.23%; the Russell 3000 at 1,699.55 for a gain of 2.51 points or 0.15%; the Russell 1000 at 1,599.94 for a gain of 1.74 points or 0.11%; the Wilshire 5000 at 29,639.10 for a gain of 43.44 points or 0.15%; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 696.44 for a loss of -2.55 points or -0.36%.

Not a Premium Member of GuruFocus? Sign up for a free 7-day trial here.

About the author:

Julie Young
Julie Young is a financial writer with comprehensive experience in the financial services industry. She writes about investments, investment products, financial market news and economic trends. Julie has a Master of Science in finance from Boston College and a Bachelor of Science in finance from the University of Arkansas.

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes)

Comments

Please leave your comment:


Performances of the stocks mentioned by Julie Young


User Generated Screeners


pjmason14Momentum
pascal.van.garsseHigh FCF-M2
kosalmmuse6
kosalmmuseBest one1
DBrizanall 2019Feb26
kosalmmuseBest one
DBrizanall 2019Feb25
kosalmmuseNice
kosalmmusehan
MsDale*52-Week Low
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)

GF Chat

{{numOfNotice}}
FEEDBACK