We are pleased to announce that our GuruFocus Excel Add-In’s GURU UDF Library has given birth to another user-defined function, GURUI.
Installation and access
The Excel Add-In page contains two large blue buttons near the top: “Download Excel Add-in” and “Download GURUF for Mac.” Click on the first button if you have a PC computer or the second button if you have the Mac Excel 2016 version. Once you finish installing the Excel Add-In, you should see a “GuruFocus” tab in Excel, as Figure 2 illustrates. If so, click the “Log In” button to log into the Excel Add-In. If not, please follow the “Installation Troubleshooting” steps as outlined on the Excel Add-In page.
After you log in, click on the “Insert GURUF” button, the one containing a black f(x) circle, to open the “Insert User Defined Function” pop-up window as shown in Figure 3.
Note: If you have not downloaded our GuruUDFLibrary add-in, you will see a dialog box prompting you to install the GURUF functions.
As Figure 3 illustrates, the GURUI function contains the following parameters:
- Region: Enter or select the region that you wish to retrieve industry-median data for. GuruFocus provides its services across several regions, including the U.S., Asia, Europe, Canada, U.K. / Ireland, Oceania, Latin America, Africa and India.
- Industry: Enter or select the industry that you wish to retrieve industry-median data for.
- You can either select from a specific sector or industry.
- If you wish to view results for a specific sector, like basic materials or consumer cyclical, you must add the word “overall” after the sector name: “Basic Materials Overall” or “Consumer Cyclical Overall.”
- Indicator: Enter or select the calculation that you wish to retrieve industry-median data for. Examples include the price-earnings ratio, price-book ratio, price-sales ratio, operating margin, net margin and other common financial statement ratios.
The Region, Industry and Indicator parameters are required and, as such, are bolded. Other optional parameters include the following:
- Year (Month): Enter the date range to output the data. If blank, the default setting is the current data.
- Show Date: Enter Y to display the data with the dates or N to display just the data.
- Transpose: Enter H for horizontal / rows or V for vertical / columns.
- Display Order: Enter A / ASC for ascending / oldest to newest or D / DESC for descending / newest to oldest.
Summary of other GURU UDF Library functions
GURUI joins the other user-defined Excel Add-In functions, which include GURUF for stock financial data, GURUG for guru trade data and GURUE for economic indicator data. Figures 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 illustrate the pop-up windows for the other three functions.
Figure 4.1: GURUF
Figure 4.2: GURUG
Figure 4.3: GURUE
A word on data limits for Premium members
The GuruFocus Premium Plus membership gives access to several of our advanced features, including backtesting in the All-in-One Screener up to 2006, the Manual of Stock downloads for a custom set of companies, portfolio and Real-Time Trades data on over 4,000 financial institutions, and unlimited data downloads through our Excel Add-In. While Premium members can still use the above features, the Premium membership limits backtesting to just the past three years and the Manual of Stock downloads to just the one containing all 500 companies on the Standard & Poor’s 500 index.
Most importantly, the Premium membership allows just 2,000 Excel Add-In queries per month. One query equals any single command of the GURU UDF Library functions. This means that downloading the share price of 100 companies uses 100 queries.