TORONTO, Oct. 26, 2021
TORONTO, Oct. 26, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Waste Connections, Inc. (TSX/NYSE: WCN) ("Waste Connections" or the "Company") today announced the release of its 2021 Sustainability Report demonstrating progress towards all of its long-term, aspirational sustainability targets, as well as an 8% reduction in operational greenhouse gas emissions. The updated report also provides expanded disclosure illustrating the Company's commitment to environmental stewardship, the health, welfare and development of its employees, and the support of its local communities.
"We are proud of our efforts in 2020, which resulted in considerable progress towards our sustainability objectives. The strong environmental, social and governance-related foundation we have established allowed us to show year-over-year improvement in all seven of our ESG targets in 2020," said Worthing F. Jackman, President and Chief Executive Officer. "Moreover, we are well-positioned for the achievement of our targets as we continue to invest in technologies and innovations that advance these priorities and drive value creation for our stakeholders."
Highlights of the 2021 Sustainability Report include:
- Reduction of Emissions and Improved Net Negative Carbon Footprint: Internally generated offsets from our services exceeded our Scope 1 and 2 emissions resulting in the avoidance of over 3.2 times the emissions generated from our operations in 2020, an improvement from prior year levels, primarily due to an 8% year-over-year reduction in operational greenhouse gas emissions.
- Increased Biogas Recovery: An increase of 1.9 billion standard cubic feet in beneficially used landfill gas, plus progress towards development of additional renewable natural gas (RNG) facilities.
- Increased Resources Recovered: A 5% increase in recycled tons processed, plus continued investment in recycling, including the introduction of robotics at seven facilities and progress towards development of greenfield recycling facilities.
- Increased On-Site Leachate Treatment: A 13% increase in on-site leachate treatment to 37.6% of total leachate generation, with additional internal capacity under construction.
- Improved Safety and Employee Engagement: A 12% reduction in overall safety incidents, with over 60% of operating locations either posting zero incidents or driving year-over-year improvements; an 18% reduction in voluntary turnover; and continuous improvement in employee engagement as measured by score improvement on our annual Servant Leadership survey.
- $40 Million in COVID-19-Related Employee and Community Support: Continued employee support in 2021 bringing total outlays since onset of the COVID-19 pandemic to over $40 million, primarily directed to discretionary supplemental pay for frontline employees, along with an increased minimum wage target of $15/hour in 2020, and expanded benefits. Elevated levels of community support persist through charitable contributions to assist food banks, families at risk, and organizations with a focus on addressing racial inequities at the local and national level.
The Waste Connections 2021 Sustainability Report is available at www.wasteconnections.com/sustainability.
About Waste Connections
Waste Connections is an integrated solid waste services company that provides non-hazardous waste collection, transfer and disposal services, along with resource recovery primarily through recycling and renewable fuels generation. The Company serves more than eight million residential, commercial and industrial customers in mostly exclusive and secondary markets across 44 states in the U.S. and six provinces in Canada. Waste Connections also provides non-hazardous oilfield waste treatment, recovery and disposal services in several basins across the U.S., as well as intermodal services for the movement of cargo and solid waste containers in the Pacific Northwest. For more information, visit Waste Connections at www.wasteconnections.com/.
Safe Harbor and Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 ("PSLRA"), including "forward-looking information" within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities laws. These forward-looking statements are neither historical facts nor assurances of future performance and reflect Waste Connections' current beliefs and expectations regarding future events and operating performance. These forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as "believes," "expects," "intends," "may," "might," "will," "could," "should" or "anticipates," or the negative thereof or comparable terminology, or by discussions of strategy. All of the forward-looking statements included in this press release are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the PSLRA and applicable Canadian securities laws. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Forward-looking statements in this press release include, but are not limited to, statements about the timing and amount of investments and the ability to meet or exceed long-term, aspirational sustainability targets. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, risk factors detailed from time to time in the Company's filings with the SEC and the securities commissions or similar regulatory authorities in Canada. You should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release. Waste Connections undertakes no obligation to update the forward-looking statements set forth in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise, unless required by applicable securities laws.
Mary Anne Whitney / (832) 442-2253
Joe Box / (832) 442-2153
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/waste-connections-reports-reduction-in-emissions-and-progress-towards-all-esg-targets-in-2021-sustainability-report-301408984.html
SOURCE Waste Connections, Inc.