1. How to use GuruFocus - Tutorials
  2. What Is in the GuruFocus Premium Membership?
  3. A DIY Guide on How to Invest Using Guru Strategies
Ross Givens
Ross Givens
Articles (22) 

NEW FEATURE: Portfolio Constructor

June 09, 2014

Two months ago we discussed the highly-praised 'My Porftolios' feature. This interactive tool allows user to build, track and adjust an unlimited number of virtual portfolios. Investors can also set up automated email alerts to be sent when a certain price or metric is reached (see the full article here).

GuruFocus decided to take things one step further by adding the Portfolio Constructor tool.

You will see this button on the right side of the 'My Portfolios' screen. Once users have identified a list of securities they wish to hold or track, the Portfolio Constructor automates the process of calculating the per stock share count based on specified weightings. By defuault, the tool will assume equal weightings to each stock. The user inputs the dollar amount of their portfolio in the first box and all values are auto-populated.

The image below shows the application to a $500,000 12-stock portfolio. Each receives an 8.33% (1/12) weighting and an exact share count based on today's prices is given.

Users also have the freedom to input their own personalized weightings. Using either the slider or a manual percentage input, the Portfolio Constructor will apply the new stock weighting and adjusts all other holdings in the portfolio.

In the example below I used the slider to adjust AAPL's weighting to 30%. As you can see, all other positions were automatically adjusted to an equal weight of the remaining 70% of the portolio. The new share count and position values were updated as well.

Investors are not limited to only one adjustment, however. Any combination of individualized stock weightings can be applied with ease and changed freely. By clicking 'Save' at the bottom of the constructor, these figures will be automatically applied to the user's virtual portfolio.

This free tool can be used a number of ways. If you have a current portfolio and wish to rebalance, the Portfolio Constructor will quickly generate new share totals to identify necessary buying and selling actions. If this is a new portfolio, the tool replaces the need to look up each price and plug into a calculator. The resulting share quantities and position values are auto-generated.

The virtual 'My Portfolios' section of the GuruFocus website is game-changer. These valuable tools serve as a memory bank for your due diligence and allow investors to maintain a database of notes, alerts and value estimates for an infinite number of securities. If you are unfamiliar with this tool, be sure to read the full tutorial here or read my article, How to Automate Your Portfolio.


Test drive our full suite of professional analysis tools. If you decide it's not for you, simply cancel and owe nothing. This offer is 100% risk-free.

Rating: 5.0/5 (1 vote)



Please leave your comment:

More than 500,000 people have already joined GuruFocus to track the stocks they follow and exchange investment ideas.

Performances of the stocks mentioned by Ross Givens

User Generated Screeners

pbarker46Dividend Growth
doug.quailLong Term Candidates
bjackscreener nou 3
bjackscreener nou 2
bjackscreener nou
pbarker46Begin here 3
DBrizan2017sep22 1045p
Get WordPress Plugins for easy affiliate links on Stock Tickers and Guru Names | Earn affiliate commissions by embedding GuruFocus Charts
GuruFocus Affiliate Program: Earn up to $400 per referral. ( Learn More)

GF Chat